Top 50 Habits You Should Break in 2014
Do you feel like time is passing by too fast and you don’t have anything to show for it? Do you feel like you are not doing some thing right, yet you can’t really put your finger on it? It’s like there is something holding you back from achieving your dreams? You are not alone. I know I do.
Most times we never realize how bad things are until it’s too late.
- You never realize just how much weight you have gained until your favorite dress can not fit anymore.
- You never realize just how broke you are until you can’t even put food in your mouth.
- You never realize that your relationship is dead, until the gaping hole in your heart feels like it’s sucking your very soul.
- You never realize just how unhappy you are in your job. Until the thought of waking up in the morning to go to work makes you feel like screaming!
- You never realize how unhappy you are. Until you cry yourself to sleep every night and you don’t know why.
- You never realize just how short life is until you lose a loved one.
Image Credit: 123RF Stock Photos
Sad thing is you never noticed yourself going down this vicious cycle and you wonder why! It is often said that when you witness a crime for the first time you will be mortified. The second time you will not be so scared and the third time… well you will be used to it. It will not surprise you anymore.
I have a friend who lived in a war torn country in his childhood and he tells me if he was to hear a bomb or grenade explode. He would run towards the blast. When we are not careful some habits can become so ingrained in us that we will never notice when we lose track.
Do you want to be aware of the habits that are slowly ruining your life? As mentioned, bad habits become part of you so slowly, that you only notice them when it’s too late.
The important thing is to be aware of these destructive habits. Reverse them and finally get full control of your life. Watch out for these negative habits.
Image Credit: 123RF Stock Photos
- Procrastination. How much do you procrastinate, put off something you should have done today for a later time never to come? The wisest man who ever lived said that poverty will come knocking in the night like a thief for those who are too lazy to act. So please get up right now and do what you have been putting off all along!
- Afraid of failure. Are you waiting for the perfect time to finally to write your book, quit your job, ask someone out but can not gather enough courage to do it, because you are afraid of failing and being rejected? I hate to disappoint you, like am sure you know deep down there is no perfect time, do it now! Dare yourself to do what you fear, that’s how you grow!
- Always the follower. When you are dead and gone, what will we remember you for? You don’t have to be the next Steve Jobs, but if you always follow and never stand your ground. You will always feel like there is something missing in your life.
- Lack of direction. When you don’t know where you are going you will never know when you arrive. Live with purpose!
- Not trying something new each day. Like any muscle, the brain needs exercise. To do this try to challenge your self and step out of your comfort zone. Do something new each day. You can start by taking a different route to work, eating with the other hand, learning a new word each day. Do anything…as long as it’s something new!
- Taking life too seriously. I read somewhere that there is a man who recently moved to a new neighbor hood. Within time he made a bomb shelter in his basement. While he actually moved because of security reasons. When you take life too seriously you will never live. Let loose, have fun and enjoy your life.
- Been too scared to follow your dreams. One of the saddest words in the English language are “If only”. It’s up to you to ensure you never look back to your life with regret.
- Never having the strength to say NO. Do you find yourself always putting the interests of other before your own? Then feel resentful about it. Then stop it. Rule of the thumb. Never do anything you don’t want to do…turn people down slowly without being mean. But still say NO!
- Always the dreamer. You know you want to have the big house on the hill but all you do is dream and stop there. It’s not going to happen. Wake up and live your dream.
- Afraid of starting over. Nowadays they say life begins at 40! Never be afraid to start over when you hit rock bottom. It’s never too late to start over, ever!
- Oversleeping. Are you hooked to your bed with a chain? Well, you are doing yourself a great injustice. Ever notice how tired you are when you wake up after sleeping for more than 9 hours? Sleep is great for the body, but too much of it will make you lazy.
- Sleeping very late. The proverbial saying goes like, “early to bed, early to rise always makes a man wise and healthy.” It is very true!
- Eating late at night. Learn to eat 3 hours prior to bed. Else your food will not be digested and you will always wonder why your tummy never stops to enlarge.
- Overeating. Always eat what you need and stop when you are full. Learn to chew like a monk. Slowly while savoring the taste of the food.
- Not exercising. I hate the gym the thought just makes me want to cry. However, the body has to be exercised regularly. Ensure you at least break a sweat each day for 20 minutes. Do anything you want, just move your body.
- Taking the elevator. Always look for ways to stretch and keep your body fit. Whenever possible take the stairs. If you take the elevator make sure you hit the gym.
- Making long lists. This only make you get scared of all the work you have to do. Most likely, you find yourself not even following the list. Do one thing at a time and you will find yourself doing everything!
- Bad image. When you change your image you change your life. Pay close attention to how you dress, walk and talk. Guard your image.
- Sitting too much in one position. If you spend your day in a sitting position. Take breaks every few hours. Never eat at the desk you work the whole day. Move about!
- Not doing eye exercises. How much time do you spend in front of your computer screen? If it’s more than 1 hour. Start exercising your eyes every 20 minutes. Years down the road, you will be glad you did.
- Abusing your body with drugs and bad food. Treat your body well it houses your soul. If you want to live a comfortable life your body needs to be healthy.
- Fear of success. Sometimes you might be afraid of how successful you might become. You wonder if you can handle it. Again, do that which you fear.
- Being a jack of all trades. Choose one thing you are good at and excel at it. Become a master at it! Stop trying to eat life food with a big spoon.
- Spending over your means. If you never want to be broke always live below your means! Never spend money you don’t have.
- Too much Facebook, Twitter. Do you have itchy fingers? You feel that you might miss something if you don’t check. Just try to balance out your online and offline off. Your friends miss you.
- Watching too much television. Seriously watching too much TV turns you in a coach potato.
- Never having me time. You need time alone to know yourself, even if it’s just 5 minutes. Make it a daily habit.
- Second guessing yourself. It is normal to wonder if you are good enough. However get in the habit of appreciating yourself everyday.
- Comparing yourself to others. If you always look over the fence believing the grass is greener on other side. Then water your grass.
- Blaming others. Learn to own up when things go wrong, compromise.
- Making empty promises. Your image is very important. Learn to be a man/woman of your word.
- Thinking bad thoughts. It is very true that what goes around comes around. Please watch your thoughts and only think of what you want to have.
- Negative energy. Never associate with people who take energy from you. Always deal with people who are positive. It takes too much energy to deal with negative people.
- Watching the news. Do people still do that? The easiest way to feel depressed is by watching the news. Most of it is just negative press.
- Uncontrollable anger. Anger can easily ruin your life, control it. Never make an important decision when angry!
- Holding on to misery. The only place to turn when you hit rock bottom is up. Never use grief as an anchor to stagnate in life.
- Thoughts of revenge. The best way to get revenge on someone is to live well! Believe me.
- Hate in your heart. Do you know the reason it is possible to divorce someone you once truly loved? It is because there is a very thin line between love and hate. Watch out… don’t cross that line.
- Green with jealousy. Most jealous thoughts are brought by the need to control and fear of being left alone. First step begins when you start to be at ease in your own skin and learn to trust others.
- Not praying; We humans have limits. Did you create yourself? Believe in a higher power and pray or meditate often.
- Not tithing. Do you know that you should always give what you want? Stop pocketing your whole salary, tithe some.
- Not giving to charity. Whatever your social status is, there is always someone you can help. Start giving now!
- Not keeping contact with friends. Get in the habit of calling at least one long lost friend per day. Connect with your friends frequently.
- Gloomy faced. A smile is like music, we all understand it. Smile often ?
- Entertaining gossip. Always remember. If someone talks to you about someone else, they do talk about you behind your back.
- Not having a mentor. Look for people who are good in what you do. Emulate them and ask for guidance. You will be surprised just how giving people are.
- Not loving yourself. Treat yourself as you would want others to treat you. With tender loving care.
- Driving. Mother Nature prefers you walk but seriously walk whenever possible. I wish I could move to Netherlands and ride bikes. I would very fit and Mother Nature would be very happy.
- Drifting through life. Maybe you will never realize your true purpose in this lifetime. However, this does not mean you should move around life like a zombie. Find something you are really good at and make it your mission. Start somewhere.
- Trying to reinvent the wheel. It is widely said that the best writers are the best thieves. More over, the wisest man who ever lived said that there is nothing new under the sun. Why then try to reinvent the wheel? Don’t steal just be creative!
Check out our previous articles:
- Reasons Why You Should Create a Bucket List
- 6 Ways to Reclaim Your Passion for Life
- 10 Ways to Make Your Mind Calm and Peaceful
- How to Become an Interesting Person
This new year, try to break these habits and change yourself for the better. As humans we’re not perfect, and hold many flaws. Instead of giving them the cold shoulder, try to evaluate your wrongs and turn them into rights. 2014 is your year to change you life, stick with it and don’t give up!