Good sleep is vital for your body’s overall health. People who get enough sleep also age gracefully without showing too much of it.
Most sleep-related conditions, such as sleep apnea and chronic sleeplessness need proper medical attention to get rid of.
Discussed below are a few tips on how to overcome insomnia and sleeplessness.
- Have a consistent sleep routine and schedule: Have a timetable on when to go to bed, and when you need to wake up each day. With a sleeping routine in place, your body will adjust quickly enabling you to fall asleep and wake up easily.
- Only use the bed for sex and sleep.
- Reduce your caffeine intake: Caffeine dependence and especially at work may be the reason you aren’t getting enough sleep. Reduce your coffee intake to get better sleep.
- Be active physically: Engaging in physical activities (aerobic exercises) can also help you fall asleep faster when you go to bed. Simple exercises such as swimming, running, and walking play a huge role in restoring deep sleep.
- Avoid daytime naps: The daytime naps you may be taking between breaks could be the reason your body is struggling to get sleep. Avoid this to increase chances of falling asleep at night.
- Quit smoking: Smoking has many adverse effects on your health and sleep cycle. Like caffeine, nicotine makes it hard for you to fall asleep.
- Reduce alcohol intake: Alcohol is known to suppress the nervous system, hence making it hard for the brain to perceive specific signals. Drinking attracts many other vices such as breathing problems during sleep and snoring. Reducing your alcohol intake especially towards bedtime can help improve your sleep patterns.
- Create a favorable sleep environment: Try to make your bedroom as calming as possible. This can be done by getting rid of electronics that may distract you during sleep, and especially those that produce blue light. Your phone, television, or video games shouldn’t be in your bedroom either. Invest in a comfortable bed and the best mattresses for better sleep.
- Try to relax before going to bed: If you spend more than 20 minutes tossing and moving around in the bed, get out of the bedroom and try to relax, you could try reading a book a few minutes to bedtime to induce this.
- Avoid sleeping pill: Although sleeping pills make you sleep, they are more addictive than alcohol. Switch to natural alternatives for sleep to prevent dependence.