Last Updated on April 8, 2016
There are thousands of distractions that we go through every day, and not all of them leave us with a peaceful feeling. There are moments where we just want scream and others when our head hurts so much we can’t handle another noise. Sometimes we must stop the nonsense and leave the world behind us.
I think a peaceful mind is the most sought after ‘commodity’ in human life. It seems that we’re constantly in a state of perpetual restlessness. Getting out of this trap is easier than you think. Here are seven ways to relax and find a bit of inner peace before you lose your mind or worse, your cool.
- Find a quiet part of the house and have a nice drink. It doesn’t have to be alcoholic, just something that you enjoy without caffeine. Something to just sip and relax. Sit, drink and breathe deeply.
- Remember, everything can be done in baby steps. Don’t expect to eat an elephant in one sitting. You have to take that down one bite at a time. So, if something is eating at you, step back, and find a way to finish it; one step at a time.
- Go get a massage. It doesn’t have to be a professional, although they rock—a lot! You can request a friend help you out. Explain that you need some relief, and they might very well be the one to save your sanity. Bring them a gift of some sort….. that way they feel they aren’t being used for their effort.
- Remember the Calgon commercials? Well, think hot bath and time alone. Give instructions to the household members that for the next thirty minutes you are unavailable. Seriously unavailable.
- If you have little ones and you are the only parent, they need to go to bed early and you need a hot cloth over your forehead. No television and no radio. Just total silence and your hot cloth.
- Not to mention, going to bed early for you too. No distractions except a good book. Nothing scary, nothing to shock you. Something to gently bore you into a dreamy sleep.
- And if nothing else is working, then you need a long quiet walk. Find a park or road. Notify your family where you will be, take precautions and stay safe. Have a way to protect yourself, and take a walk. A run doesn’t hurt either. If you are a biker, let ‘er rip. A good bike ride takes away a lot of stress.
- Think positive. Take a moment to reflect back on your life, all the way back from your childhood, and work your way up to how you got to where you are today. Doing this will create a deep feeling of gratitude and certainly bring a smile on your face.
- Let go of all negative thoughts completely, and simply enjoy the present moment. Put your hand over your heard and feel your heart beat. Now realize that you’re simply a living creature, over-thinking life and stressing yourself out.
- Exercising relieves so much stress, it’s not even funny. After a good exercise your body and mind remove chaos, thus making you feel euphoric. It’s hard to describe the feeling. However when you do it, you’ll see exactly what I mean.
- And as a bonus: Do that massage again. They are an amazing way to get toxins out of the system, as well as throwing out the wreck of a week that you just went through. Don’t forget to drink water when you are done to rehydrate yourself.
These are just a few to try when the mind needs to be slowed down or it will explode. All will work, but it depends on the activity in your home. Sometimes a night with the guys or a fun night with the girls will take care of everything. If that’s not possible, see all the examples above. Something will work from the list. All are easy and for the most part, inexpensive. Good luck with your relaxation, you deserve it.