Last Updated on
Did you know that our eyes are the most highly developed sensory organs in our bodies? It’s so complex that neurons devoted to visual processing take up almost 30% of the cortex. That’s a huge chunk of the brain compared to what the other senses use.
What’s even more amazing is how our eyes go beyond their purpose of sight and provide interpersonal insight and transcendental visions.
The eyes are sensory organs of sight. They allow us to connect with our surroundings by giving us the ability to receive and process visual stimuli. They enable us to respond to visual details. Through them, we are able to appreciate the beauty of nature.
Of the five senses, the eyes are the most dominant. 80% of all sensory impressions are perceived through our eyes. Without them, we wouldn’t be able to easily collect information from our surroundings. We wouldn’t be able to react quickly and appropriately to any stimulus.
Our perception, learning, cognitive function, and motor abilities are all mediated through our vision.
Expression of Character
As a saying goes, “the eyes are the windows to your soul”. It’s a cliché, but time has proven that there’s some truth in it. Our eyes reflect our feelings and our innermost characteristics. Gazing into someone’s eyes can give you hints about what a person is like.
Even the physical features of the eyes imply certain personality traits. Round eyes suggest expressiveness and impulsiveness. Wide-set eyes evoke an adventurous spirit. Meanwhile, downward-slanting eyes can indicate a pessimistic attitude, and almond-shaped eyes tend to imply a warm and positive personality.
Aside from letting us see what’s around us, our eyes allow others to see who we are inside.
Portrayal of Human Emotions
Eyes can convey what the tongue cannot speak. They can refute the lies and reveal true feelings regardless of a seemingly emotionless face.
Look deeply into someone’s eyes and you’ll know whether they are happy or sad. Watch their eye movement and you can tell if they are lying. One glance at someone’s eyes can tell you whether a smile or laughter is sincere.
Indeed, the eyes are complex organs that allow us to see the beauty of the world and to see into souls. They help us develop empathy and improve the way we communicate with other people. They enable us to have a better quality of life and appreciate the joys of living.
Perhaps, it is the eyes’ complex nature that makes them popular in poetry and narratives. Their ability to convey emotions make them ideal themes for inspiring quotations and sentimental poems. Even Shakespeare has used them to express feelings in several of his works.
Here’s a collection of eye-opening, and inspirational quotes about eyes that may change how you view life:
1. “You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.” Mark Twain
2. “Where words are restrained, the eyes often talk a great deal.” – Samuel Richardson
3. “The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God’s eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.” – Meister Eckhart
4. “The beauty of a woman must be seen from in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides.” – Audrey Hepburn
5. “It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It’s called living.” – Terry Pratchett
6. “If I can see pain in your eyes then share with me your tears. If I can see joy in your eyes then share with me your smile.” – Santosh Kalwar
7. “When a woman is talking to you, listen to what she says with her eyes.” – Victor Hugo
8. “The eye sees a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination awake.” – Leonardo da Vinci
9. “For I dipped into the future, far as human eye could see, Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.” – Alfred Lord Tennyson
10. “My eyes are an ocean in which my dreams are reflected….” – Anna M. Uhlich.
11. “A gray eye is a sly eye, And roguish is a brown one; Turn full upon me thy eye,– Ah, how its wavelets drown one! A blue eye is a true eye; Mysterious is a dark one, Which flashes like a spark-sun! A black eye is the best one.” – William Alger
12. “The ear tends to be lazy, craves the familiar and is shocked by the unexpected; the eye, on the other hand, tends to be impatient, craves the novel and is bored by repetition.” – W. H. Auden
13. “They seemed to be staring at the dark, but their eyes were watching God.” – Zora Neale Hurston
14. “Tears are nature‘s lotion for the eyes. The eyes see better for being washed by them.” – Christian Nevell Bovee
15. “Since we cannot change reality, let us change the eyes which see reality.” – Nikos Kazantzakis
16. “Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you’re living?” – Bob Marley
17. “The soul, fortunately, has an interpreter – often an unconscious but still a faithful interpreter – in the eye.” – Charlotte Bronte
18. “Here was an ugly little girl asking for beauty….A little black girl who wanted to rise up out of the pit of her blackness and see the world with blue eyes. His outrage grew and felt like power. For the first time he honestly wished he could work miracles.” – Toni Morrison
19. “The eyes of Doctor T. J. Eckleburg are blue and gigantic—their irises are one yard high. They look out of no face, but, instead, from a pair of enormous yellow spectacles which pass over a nonexistent nose. Evidently some wild wag of an oculist set them there to fatten his practice in the borough of Queens, and then sank down himself into eternal blindness, or forgot them and moved away. But his eyes, dimmed a little by many paintless days, under sun and rain, brood on over the solemn dumping ground.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
20. “The eyes are one of the most powerful tools a woman can have. With one look, she can relay the most intimate message. After the connection is made, words cease to exist.” – Jennifer Salaiz
21. “The eye is the jewel of the body.” – Henry David Thoreau
22. “The world only exists in your eyes. You can make it as big or as small as you want..” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
23. “Anyone can look at others’ eyes, but Lovers can see into each others’ souls through the eyes.” – Larry Latta.
24. “Those true eyes Too pure and too honest in aught to disguise The sweet soul shining through them.” – Owen Meredith
25. “I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my eyes and all is born again.” – Sylvia Plath
26. “Every closed eye is not sleeping, and every open eye is not seeing.” – Bill Cosby
27. “A woman’s eyes cut deeper than a knife.” – Robert Jordan
28. “The eyes like sentinel occupy the highest place in the body.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
29. “The eyes indicate the antiquity of the soul.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
30. “The eyes see only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” – Robertson Davies
31. “If your eyes dwell in your heart; then your inner voice will be your congenial Guide.” – Sir Kristian Goldmund Aumann
32. “Shut your eyes and see. James Joyce “ His eyes have made love to me all evening.” – Marguerite Gautier
33. “My eyes make pictures when they are shut.” – Samuel Taylor Coleridge
34. “i am a museum full of art but you had your eyes shut.” – Rupi Kaur
35. “For she had eyes and chose me.” – William Shakespeare
36. “An animal’s eyes have the power to speak a great language.” – Martin Buber
37. “Eyes are the window to the soul.” – Proverb
38. “Cat’s eyes seem a bridge to a world beyond the one we know.” – Lynn-Holly Johnson
39. “Our eyes are full of terrible confessions.” – Anne Sexton
40. “Open your eyes and see what you can with them before they close forever.” – Anthony Doerr
41. “Eyes – the head’s chief of police. They watch and make mental notes.” – Anton Chekhov
42. “There’s a light in a woman’s eyes that speaks louder than words.” – Arthur Conan Doyle
43. “It is in their eyes that their magic resides.” – Arthur Symons
44. “Through the eyes of the brave, the future makes past tense perfect sense.” – Auliq Ice
45. “Look at their eyes. If their eyes are shining, you know youre doing it.” – Benjamin Zander
46. “Your eyes are like two jewels in the sky.” – Bob Dylan
47. “Fix your eyes on what you believe and not what you see.” – Chris Burkmenn
48. “The sexiest part of the body is the eyes. That’s what I believe.” – Clive Owen
49. “To see through my eyes you first have to know me. Most little girls have a mommy and lots of love.” – Coral Peterson
50. “If you close your eyes to see the view, you miss everything surrounding you.” – David Archuleta
51. “love is in the eyes, and one woman knows when another woman is in love.” – David Gemmell
52. “You are most beautiful when your eyes are glowing with kindness and joy.” – Debasish Mridha
53. “The voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses.” – E.E. Cummings
54. “Beautiful eyes are those that show the beautiful thoughts that burn below.” – Ellen Palmer Allerton
55. “The eyes are the windows of a woman’s heart; you may enter that a way!” – Eugene Sue
56. “The eyes have one language everywhere.” – George Herbert
57. “When the tongue lies, the eyes tell the truth.” – George Horace Lorimer
58. “Eyes that have never wept cannot comprehend sorrow.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
59. “Eyes are more accurate witnesses than ears.” – Heraclitus
60. “People who shut their eyes to reality simply invite their own destruction.” – James Baldwin
61. “If your eyes are blinded with your worries, you cannot see the beauty of the sunset.” – Jiddu Krishnamurti
62. “Eyes raised toward heaven are always beautiful, whatever they be.” – Joseph Joubert
63. “The eyes see everything through the heart.” – Katherine Center
64. “Our eyes are always blind when they view the future.” – Kelly Link
65. “If my eyes could show my soul, everyone would cry when they saw me smile.” – Kurt Cobain
66. “Through the eyes of a child, —is your heart then set free.” – Kurt Philip Behm
67. “He who closes his eyes sees nothing, even in the full light of day.” – Leopold Trepper
68. “You can tell a lot from someone’s eyes.” – Lorne Michaels
69. “There are many things that can only be seen through eyes that have cried.” – Oscar Romero
70. “The eyes are hungry but often satiated before they see.” – Otl Aicher
71. “Your eyes show the strength of your soul.” – Paulo Coehlo
72. “If we could see through each other’s eyes you’d be surprise by the many things you may see, things you could never imagine and things you thought could never be.” – Poetic Description
73. “The eyes are not responsible when the mind does the seeing.” – Publilius Syrus
74. “The eyes see not what is before them when the mind is intent on other matters.” – Publilius Syrus
75. “Many eyes go through the meadow, but few see the flowers in it.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
76. “Children listen best with their eyes. What you do is what they hear.” – Richard Carlson
77. “Your eyes are even smaller, yet they behold the world.” – Rumi
78. “You believe what your eyes want to believe!” – Santosh Kalwar
79. “Eyes will not see when the heart wishes them to be blind.” – Seneca The Younger
80. “The eyes are the pioneers that first announce the soft tale of love.” – Sextus Propertius
81. “The eyes are black and beautiful complexion fair and sweet.” – Shad Azimabadi
82. “The eyes of men love to pluck the blossoms from the faded flowers they turn away.” – Sophocles
83. “The eyes are the landing strip to the heart.” – Stan Dale
84. “You can close your eyes to reality but not to memories.” – Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
85. “When you close your eyes to tragedy, you close your eyes to greatness.” – Stephen Vizinczey
86. “Eyes so transparent that through them the soul is seen.” – Theophile Gautier
87. “Look deep inside the eyes of a woman, see the man you want to be.” – Tim McGraw
88. “When the eyes of the flesh are shut, the eyes of the spirit are open.” – Willa Cather
89. “The eyes of our souls only then begin to see when our bodily eyes are closing.” – William Law
90. “A lover’s eyes will gaze an eagle blind.” – William Shakespeare