It was great when it started. Hardly a day went by without calling your partner to find out how they were doing. You exchanged flowers every so often, marked each other’s anniversaries, and went on countless late-night dates. You thought you had met your soul mate and swore to stick together for eternity.
But as it turns out, you were wrong.
The relationship has reached a point where it causes you more tears than joy. Even after pulling all the stops to save the situation and relive the better days, things could only get worse. You know it’s about time to call it quits and go your different ways. It will be painful at first. But if it’s the best decision under the present circumstances, you’ll eventually get over it.
So, you take your phone to write them a breakup text message but then your mind goes blank.
If this is your first breakup, you may never know how to end it. That’s especially if you honestly believe your partner is entirely to blame for not pulling their weight to save the relationship. But it doesn’t matter who is right or wrong, a breakup text message should still be decent enough.
Read on for an insightful guide on how to write breakup texts that leave a lasting impression.
How to Write and Send Breakup Text
A breakup text isn’t something that you just wake up and write. Instead, there’s specific criteria to follow.
First off, you should establish whether you really want to end the relationship. Maybe you could still work things out and salvage the situation.
Listen to what your heart tells you. If your differences are irreparable and you believe you’d be happier without your partner, then follow the below criteria when writing a breakup text.
1. Find a suitable time
Breaking up with your partner, be it over a text message or not, should always be done when the time is right. Ideally, you should consider sending the text in the evening when your soon-to-be ex is most likely relaxing at home and has access to their phone. It’s important that they read the message as soon as possible. You wouldn’t want to send a breakup text when your partner is, say, at work, driving, or meeting their family.
2. Keep it private
The relationship has always been a private affair between the two of you, and there’s no reason why you should now make it public just because you’re parting ways. The good thing about breakup texts is that only you and the intended recipient can determine who else sees the message. Even then, don’t share the breakup text with anyone. Most importantly, your friends shouldn’t be privy to your intentions of breaking up with your partner, at least not before the fact.
3. Be discreet
Discretion is a major hallmark of breakup texts. The message should be as brief and candid as possible. Avoid using metaphor breakup lines or other forms of figurative language that could be open to interpretation. Also, avoid lengthy details on why you’re breaking up with your partner as they likely already know why.
4. Be formal
In addition to being discreet, ensure that your breakup text carries some degree of seriousness. If possible, keep it formal and avoid using slang, emojis, or unnatural characters. Also remember that this isn’t the time to crack silly jokes (or any jokes at all).
5. Be honest
This is arguably the most important requirement of any breakup text. The message should contain the actual reason why you’re quitting the relationship. Don’t leave your partner guessing. Even if they’re abundantly aware of the reason you could possibly break up with them, it’s still necessary to mention it. And don’t exaggerate. If they played you with one of your friends, don’t make it seem as though they slept with all of your friends. That might cause them to think that you’re overreacting.
6. Be kind
Your partner is someone you’ve been so deeply in love with before. You’ve shared fond memories together and there’s no point in being fussy when breaking up with them. Write them a plain breakup text and do not rub the message in.
Try to avoid the following breakup lines at all costs:
• I never loved you at all.
• I no longer love you! I hate you. You are stupid.
• I’m breaking up with you motherf****
• Not all monsters are ugly.
• Not every beast who gives roses to you can turn to be your prince.
• There is someone else in my life.
7. Remember that your needs come first
Above everything, remember that your needs come first. So, don’t go out of your way to please someone who’s a few minutes short of becoming your ex.
100 Unique Breakup Text Ideas
1. As much as it hurts, being heartbroken is better than being lied to by you. Goodbye.
2. Hello, I hope you are fine. It was a lovely meeting and being with you. I enjoyed getting to know you but I am not feeling a real connection between us.
3. Hey, thanks for being together for that long. However, I didn’t feel a spark in our relationship, let us end it here.
4. Hi there, you have been good to me. I am sorry to say that being in this relationship isn’t what I should be focusing on. I want to be solo.
5. I am breaking up with you… maybe I will wish I didn’t, maybe I will be happier, but it doesn’t matter because you don’t seem to care.
6. I am slowing losing you and it is very painful for me. I know you will never return but at least we can end our story in a positive manner.
7. I can’t wait any longer. I know that we should end it right now. We don’t belong together, and it’s time for both of us to move on with our lives. Separately. Thank you for being with me all this time. But it’s time to say goodbye.
8. I didn’t think my feelings would change for you, but then you changed. Goodbye.
9. I feel like I’m wasting the time that I’m spending with you. I don’t mean to hurt you, but it just doesn’t feel right. Sometimes feelings just fade, and we can do nothing about it. I wish you the happiest life. Goodbye.
10. I feel this relationship isn’t working for me and feel not compatible together. I want to end and wish you the best in the future.
11. I just need to get it off my chest. I’m not in love with you anymore. I don’t know if I ever was. Maybe I just wanted to have what everyone has, you know. Stable relationship, a house and a dog. But it’s not what I really want right now. I’m sorry for making things so complicated.
12. I know we had life’s best times when we were together, but it is hard to be in the same relation as there is no place to breathe here. It is better, we stop dreaming. We should face the truth and walk off from each other’s life.
13. I tried hard to express my feeling for you but you were never interested in understanding that. It’s painful to be a one-sided love relationship. Goodbye.
14. I will never deny that I loved you, but with time, things change and so did you. Goodbye.
15. Our breakup hurts me a lot, but I would rather heal a broken heart than suffer in a relationship with you. Goodbye.
16. There is nothing more painful than living in a fake relationship. It gives only disappointment. So, it’s the time to end all drama and be realistic. This is my goodbye message to you, stay happy.
17. We both just fight, argue and shout. No place is left for love, understanding and compassion. I think we should end this relationship at a beautiful turn, then ruining it more.
18. We have a bright future ahead of us just not with each other. Let’s be brave so that we can move on to better things. Goodbye.
19. With this message, all I want to say, we have been in a good relationship that has no future. I want to end it now forever. Goodbye.
20. You used to make me feel special, and that’s what really hurts now.
- “I want to say I enjoyed staying and chatting together, I would love to see you again, but for me, it would only be as friends. I am not sure if you will be keen on that?”
- “Tbh it was fun hanging up together, but I don’t think we are meant to be a couple”
- “It was so nice getting to know you over the past few [days, weeks, months], but I don’t feel a connection anymore. I wish you luck in the future!”
- “Truthfully, I am still in love with my ex, and things just don’t feel settled for us yet. I am sorry but I feel like this is goodbye.
- “After getting to know you a bit more, it’s obvious to me that you’re not quite ready to date. I hope you can get to a good place soon and find someone who makes you just as happy.”
- “I’d like to see other people and I know you don’t want an open relationship, so this is my goodbye.”
- “It seems like our paths are going in different directions and I need to put all my focus on my own path. Pursuing a relationship isn’t going to work out.”
- “It’s clear to me now that our views are incompatible. I am sorry (name) but this isn’t going to work.”
- “I wanted to let you know that my feelings for you are much stronger as a friend than as a romantic partner. Would you like to continue our relationship as friends going forward? I’d love to keep you in my life.”
- “I’ve realized the distance between us is too great and there is no immediate remedy. I am not built for a long-distance relationship. I’m sorry, I need to break this off and move on.”
- “I really wish it wasn’t ending this way, but I’ve lost all trust after learning that you cheated. Our relationship is over.”
- “I’m writing to let you know that I am no longer comfortable or willing to remain in this relationship. You are too controlling and I feel like I can’t move forward on my own personal journey whilst I am with you. I am sorry.”
- “Thanks for meeting up for drinks last night! I don’t think there’s a romantic spark, but I wish you the best of luck out there.”
- “Being in a relationship with you was a waste of time. I think breaking up is best because you need to figure out what you want in life.”
- “I think our relationship isn’t working. We have different priorities, and our personalities aren’t suited to each other. Think about it, and you’ll agree.”
- “I hope I’m not hurting your feelings because it’s the last thing I want to do, but I think we’d be better off as friends.”
- “Whatever happened in the past, I need to focus on my future. I think it’s better if we break up instead of trying to fix something that’s broken.”
- I’ve enjoyed getting to know you, and I feel like while we can be good friends, a relationship isn’t on the cards for us. I just want to be honest now, so you don’t feel led on.”
- “When I met you, I was in a bad place. You helped me a lot, and thank you. But that’s no reason to stay in a relationship that I don’t feel is working out, so I think breaking up is our best option.”
- “I think we need to meet to discuss the fight we had. It was a deal breaker for me, and I don’t think we can be together anymore. Let’s get together and talk one last time.”
- “I’ve been dishonest with you these last few weeks, and I feel bad about it. I don’t feel the same way as you do, and I want to end the relationship.”
- “Please don’t think that this is leaving me indifferent. I’m in just as much pain as you are! The problem is that I haven’t stopped loving you, I simply don’t trust that we’re right for each other. I hope you understand that, as well.”
- “You’ve been moving way too fast with this relationship since it started. I don’t think we’re on the same page at all. I don’t like sending break-up texts, but I think it’s time we face the truth.”
- “You’ve stopped caring for me and this relationship. At this point, you only make me feel like a burden. I deserve better than that and you deserve someone who appreciates your minimal effort. That someone isn’t me. Good luck and goodbye.”
- “I don’t want to do this anymore. We stay together because we’re scared of being alone! I don’t want to fight and cry every damn day. Let’s just end this now before my heart breaks into a million pieces. Goodbye.”
- “I need to get this off my chest, so I’m sorry that I’m sending you a breakup text. I’m not in love with you anymore, haven’t been for quite a while now actually. I know we made some amazing memories, but that’s about it. We don’t have anything else going for us. So let’s just break up already and move on.”
- “You used to make me feel so special, loved, and cared for. I haven’t felt like that next to you for a very long time now. So please understand what I’m about to say: I’m breaking up with you. We’re both at fault here, so I hope you won’t get mad. Goodbye.”
- “I’m not happy with you anymore. And say what you like, I see that you’re not happy with me either. We make each other miserable! Please let’s stop this. I can’t do this anymore, I want to be happy again. I want you to be happy again. There’s no way we can truly feel that when we’re together.”
- “There’s nothing more painful than staying in a loveless relationship. That’s what’s happening, isn’t it? You don’t love me anymore and it’s obvious. Because I want to be the bigger person, I’m going to end our misery and break up with you right now. Let’s hope we both find what we deserve.”
- “Maybe we weren’t ready for this relationship. I know that I wasn’t. So instead of dragging you along with me, it’s better if we break up right now. Please don’t be sad because of this, we just weren’t meant to be together.”
- Hey babe I think is time we take our relationship to the previous level
- If you take the “L” out of LOVER. Its OVER
- I will always cherish my initial misconceptions of you.
- Hey baby I’m calling myself Han because you need to be Solo.
- They say one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. I hope you find someone who treasures you
- You have been my best friend always, even after becoming my wife. I know you love me a lot, but now I have realized, my love is someone else. I am sorry for hurting you, but can’t continue this relationship.
- I knew this girl in middle school who would break up with boys by saying: roses are red, violets are blue, trash is dumped and so are you
- Are you a dollar bill? Because you’re single.
- Hey baby, are you in a tunnel? Because we’re breaking up.
- You remind me of Halley’s Comet. I don’t wanna see you again for another 74 years
- I think we need to become better strangers.
- Hey babe, I think its about time we cancel our gym membership. We’re not working out anymore
- I never thought I could be hurt by you. You have given me a big shock. I do not know if I will ever be able to see your face again. Good bye! Thank you for all the pain.
- I am done giving all my time to you and spending all my energy on you. Let us just overlook that we’ve even met and had a thing. I wish to not see you again or talk to you. Bye. Good luck.
- Life was beautiful with you, I will take time to move out, but eventually, I would. So, goodbye and do take good care of yourself!
- You wanted me to love you unconditionally, projected me as your partner but treated me as ur servant. Love has a condition, that is, respect your partner. I don’t want to be such relation. Goodbye
- There is no trust left in our relationship. I can never look at you the same way I used to. It is okay that we’re just not good for each other. Life happens. All the best. Bye
- I could have moved on but I won’t because I wanna see your guilt face whenever you see me alone and broken
- I was always there for you, my love always wanted to be with you, but when you cheated me it was your loss that you never understood.
- I know we had the life’s best time when we were together, but it is hard to be in the same relation as there is no place to breathe here. It is better, we stop dreaming. We should face the truth and walk off from each other’s life
- A piece of thought to you doesn’t ruin somebody else’s life like you did to me because someone may not be as strong as I am
- You are the kind of a man who deserves a woman who is all in for you. I am genuinely sorry that I am not the right woman for you. So, I wish that you will get the perfect match someday. Goodbye.
- I don’t feel happy living in the relationship that you call is full of love. I need freedom from all the mess, so accept my final goodbye and forget me forever
- Girl you’re looking like a snack and I’m going on a diet.
- I rejected everyone just to give time to you, to make love with you but you always kept me last. Heartbroken!
- I want you to kick off your past and move forward in life with proud and confidence. I am not the man you should cry for.
- No, no one can take your place in my heart, but sometimes it just becomes difficult to be happy together. This is our case. Goodbye dear, have a good life.
- Thank you for teaching me a lesson of not trusting anybody, I was blind, and I don’t blame you.
- I just walked away because you were busy finding faults in me, while I was busy overlooking yours. So now, I finally decided to break this relationship forever. We were never meant for each other. I hope I will get my right partner and you will get yours. Goodbye.
- I wasn’t prepared for this marriage, but everyone insisted me and said, things will turn good and I will start loving you. But, nothing happen so far and will never happen. I don’t wanna drag you in this relation. From my side you are free and I’m ending everything here.
- We should make like the Soviet Union and split up.
- You will get something good someday for thing that you have lost today. Look at the positive side of things, and forgive me for breaking your heart.
- Baby are you an angel? Because I’m an atheist
- I have decided to break up with you as things are not working between us, and won’t work in the future.
- I wish you get the best person in your life after me. Please don’t ruin your beauty by crying for me. You are cute, adorable and pretty. It’s only me who doesn’t deserve you.
- You have proved that everything that is good, will not last long. We shared a beautiful relationship, and now it is over. Goodbye
- After hurting you, I am so much in pain that I can’t show my face to you. Goodbye, and if possible, please forgive me
- I want to break up with you. Sorry Wrong Number
- You were right! I’m irresponsible, careless, self-centered. But you are wrong when you say, I don’t love you. This is not true, and soon you will realize it.
- Maybe I was not mature enough to handle our love, and it ended at this turn. But, I assure you no one can love you the way I do.
- There was a time when the thought of separating from you used to scare me from within. But, now there is no doubt that I want to end this relationship.
- Maybe this is the best decision for both of us. perhaps it is written in the stars.
- Are you a music fan? Because you are going to have a deeper appreciation for Adele’s songs.
- Breaking up with you is as difficult as staying with you. I’m choosing the first option because this way at least you will be happy.
- Hey babe, are you the McDonald’s Ice Cream Machine because you just aren’t working for me anymore.
- We have outgrown one another, I’m sorry but its just not working anymore
- Damn girl, are you being followed? Cause I’ve been seeing people behind your back.
- Aside from being single, what do you do for a living?
- If I could rearrange the alphabet, I would keep u and I pretty much where they are, far apart from each other. Maybe even make them a little further away.
- Hey baby, I think I’m going blind. Because I can’t see you anymore.
- We both knew it was a tempestuous relationship, to begin with. But we chose to remain oblivious to that fact. Now that we’ve had enough space to think straight without fighting, I think it’s best if we end it here. I have no hard feelings for you; it just wasn’t meant to be. I wish you all the best for your future.
- Hey. I hope you’re doing fine today. It’s been quite a while since we’ve thought of separating our paths. I won’t deny the fact that I miss you; you had certainly become a huge chunk of my life. It pains me to admit that we couldn’t get along. The fighting and the turbulence was too much for either of us to handle.
- There’s always wisdom in parting ways. I still adore you for the person you are. For what it’s worth, you made my life beautiful while our relationship lasted. I wish you all the success you have always yearned for.
- You are meant to do great things in life. Don’t let this breakup dim your light. I have never thought ill of you and never will. I hope we can still be friends.
- Hey. I’ve been thinking a lot about you. It’s hard to get over you, but I also know that if we get back together, it’ll end in another messy fight. It’s like our bond was synonymous with carnage. It was just too stormy. There are better days ahead of us. I hope you understand why I did what I did.
- I guess you weren’t my soul mate; you were my twin flame. We were passionate about each other, but for all the wrong reasons. Nevertheless, there’s more to life. I will always hold you close to my heart. Goodbye.
- I hate goodbyes, and I never thought a breakup would shake me up like this. However, this must be done. Goodbye; I wish you all the best in your life ahead. May you achieve all that you have always dreamed of.
- Even though I love you as a person and as a friend, I just feel like we’ve changed our priorities. Our relationship doesn’t come first anymore like it used to. I hope we can still be friends, but let’s just end this turbulent relationship so we can move on with our lives.
- Sometimes your absence aches me to the core. I won’t deny that I miss your morning smile and evening laughter. I miss our late-night snack hoarding and movie binging. You were a huge part of my life. It’s sad how it ended the way it did. But I have no hard feelings for you, and I wish you all the best in life.
- Hey, I’m just checking up on you to see if you’re okay. We’re both having a rough time moving forward, but it is what it is.
- I’m glad we moved on. There’s no beef between us. I’m glad we ended it gracefully.
- I do not have a bone to pick with you; I hope you don’t either. Take care of yourself, and goodbye forever.
- I just wish you didn’t lie to me the way you did. Nevertheless, I wish you all the best in life. Goodbye.
- This just isn’t working between us. We fight every day, and I’ve stopped seeing the brighter side of life. It’s best to let sleeping dogs lie. Let’s finish this gracefully.
- I hate to be the one doing this, but I’ve exhausted all my energy in trying to fix this relationship. Yet, you couldn’t care less. I can’t do this anymore.
- I don’t understand how you don’t feel the least bit of responsibility towards me. I can’t do this anymore. Farewell.
- As I look back upon our time together, I see nothing but cherished memories. We were together for some of the most memorable times. It’s a shame it has to end this way. I guess finding the right person isn’t enough, after all. It’ll be tough getting over this. Fare thee well.
- I hate to be doing this over text, but I can’t risk meeting you in person. You’ve proven to be vile and vicious, I don’t know how I was so blind. I don’t like who I become when I’m with you. Goodbye.
- As much as I love and care for you, I just don’t think we’re good together. I feel like we’ve grown apart, and the spark just isn’t there anymore. I think we should take a break. Goodbye.
- I’ve been struggling to communicate my feelings to you, and I don’t think this relationship is working out. It’s better we go our separate ways and find someone more compatible.
- We both have very different goals at this point in life, and I think staying together is only proving to be a hindrance to achieving those goals. As much as I wish I could’ve been with you to achieve these goals, I’m just not the person for you. I hope you find someone who aligns with you. Bless you.
- I know breaking up over text is a pity, but I had no choice. I didn’t how to face you, and quite frankly, I don’t think I ever want to. Don’t try to contact me again, please. We’re done.
- I honestly can’t believe you turned out to be a cheater. I feel stupid to have believed all your lies when the truth was right there. I never want to see your face again. Goodbye!
- I just can’t bear being around you anymore. Every time I see you, my heartaches. When did we become so toxic to each other? I hope you find someone who makes you happy and you achieve all that you want in life. It just can’t be with me. Farewell.
- The air becomes dense when I’m with you. You’ve completely changed as a person. I don’t think I can make this work anymore. I need to be out of this relationship. I hope you understand.
- I’m at the point in life where I just can’t take any more BS from you. I wish for you to mature and take things a bit more seriously. I can’t be with you anymore. I’m sorry.
- I hate to be doing this over text, but you’ve left me no choice. Please leave me alone; I no longer wish to be with you. Our differences are beyond repair. Goodbye.
- If you try calling me or texting me again, I swear I’ll block you off everywhere. Why can’t you understand that I no longer love you? I didn’t want to be rude or hurtful, but you’ve left me with no choice. Just go away!
- Hey, I just wanted to say that I’m going through a lot right now, and it doesn’t have anything to do with you. Staying in this relationship is detrimental for both of us right now because of the state I’m in. I need time to discover myself and find my identity. I need a break; I hope you understand.
- Lately, I’ve been feeling really caged in this relationship, and I’ve tried talking to you about this over and again. You just don’t seem to understand. I’ve decided that I no longer want to be with you for the sake of my own sanity. Please don’t try to contact me again. Good luck and goodbye.
- You promised me you’d always take care of my heart, but all you’ve done is stomp over it. I feel like a wreck, and there’s no going back from this. Please leave me alone, I don’t want to be with you anymore.
- I gave you chances to mend yourself over and over. I was with you through rehab and everything, but you just can’t seem to get a grip. I’m done being selfless, and I need to be selfish for my own sake.
- We’ve grown apart with time, and our interests don’t match. I’ve tried very hard to make this work, but I feel like we’ve hit a dead-end.
- I love you more than anything, but I think it just isn’t meant to be. You’re the right person at the wrong time, and that just breaks my heart. Maybe we could reunite in the future, but for now, it’s goodbye.
- It pains me to admit this, but I’ve grown out of love with you, and there isn’t anything you can do to mend this. I need to go my separate way. I hope you live a joyous and successful life. Goodbye.
- I’m sorry if I ever gave you any false expectations, but I was never in this for the long run. I’m really sorry for doing this, but I can’t be with you anymore.
- I really can’t deal with you anymore; it’s taking a huge deal on my nerves. You need to get your life together and stop ruining mine. Whatever we had is over now. Please leave me alone and don’t contact me. Farewell.
- I’m glad it finally came to an end. Like all good things, this, too was destined to end. I have no remorse, and you shouldn’t either.
- We have decided to part ways, but I just want you to know that I still respect you. I’ll still be there for you if you need me.
- You were a huge chunk of my life. But not anymore. This emotional trauma was too much for both of us. Have a good life ahead.
Breaking up with someone who stole your heart may be a difficult decision to make. There’s always the temptation to make your partner feel like they’re all to blame for not acting to save the relationship. As such, you may want to send them a mean breakup text that will linger in their memories forever. But it’s really not worth it. Why not consider any of the above kind and candid breakup text ideas and walk out of the relationship with your head high?