Last Updated on January 20, 2022
It was great when it started. Hardly a day went by without calling your partner to find out how they were doing. You exchanged flowers every so often, marked each other’s anniversaries, and went on countless late-night dates. You thought you had met your soul mate and swore to stick together for eternity.
But as it turns out, you were wrong.
The relationship has reached a point where it causes you more tears than joy. Even after pulling all the stops to save the situation and relive the better days, things could only get worse. You know it’s about time to call it quits and go your different ways. It will be painful at first. But if it’s the best decision under the present circumstances, you’ll eventually get over it.
So, you take your phone to write them a breakup text message but then your mind goes blank.
If this is your first breakup, you may never know how to end it. That’s especially if you honestly believe your partner is entirely to blame for not pulling their weight to save the relationship. But it doesn’t matter who is right or wrong, a breakup text message should still be decent enough.
Read on for an insightful guide on how to write breakup texts that leave a lasting impression.
How to Write and Send Breakup Text
A breakup text isn’t something that you just wake up and write. Instead, there’s specific criteria to follow.
First off, you should establish whether you really want to end the relationship. Maybe you could still work things out and salvage the situation.
Listen to what your heart tells you. If your differences are irreparable and you believe you’d be happier without your partner, then follow the below criteria when writing a breakup text.
1. Find a suitable time
Breaking up with your partner, be it over a text message or not, should always be done when the time is right. Ideally, you should consider sending the text in the evening when your soon-to-be ex is most likely relaxing at home and has access to their phone. It’s important that they read the message as soon as possible. You wouldn’t want to send a breakup text when your partner is, say, at work, driving, or meeting their family.
2. Keep it private
The relationship has always been a private affair between the two of you, and there’s no reason why you should now make it public just because you’re parting ways. The good thing about breakup texts is that only you and the intended recipient can determine who else sees the message. Even then, don’t share the breakup text with anyone. Most importantly, your friends shouldn’t be privy to your intentions of breaking up with your partner, at least not before the fact.
3. Be discreet
Discretion is a major hallmark of breakup texts. The message should be as brief and candid as possible. Avoid using metaphor breakup lines or other forms of figurative language that could be open to interpretation. Also, avoid lengthy details on why you’re breaking up with your partner as they likely already know why.
4. Be formal
In addition to being discreet, ensure that your breakup text carries some degree of seriousness. If possible, keep it formal and avoid using slang, emojis, or unnatural characters. Also remember that this isn’t the time to crack silly jokes (or any jokes at all).
5. Be honest
This is arguably the most important requirement of any breakup text. The message should contain the actual reason why you’re quitting the relationship. Don’t leave your partner guessing. Even if they’re abundantly aware of the reason you could possibly break up with them, it’s still necessary to mention it. And don’t exaggerate. If they played you with one of your friends, don’t make it seem as though they slept with all of your friends. That might cause them to think that you’re overreacting.
6. Be kind
Your partner is someone you’ve been so deeply in love with before. You’ve shared fond memories together and there’s no point in being fussy when breaking up with them. Write them a plain breakup text and do not rub the message in.
Try to avoid the following breakup lines at all costs:
• I never loved you at all.
• I no longer love you! I hate you. You are stupid.
• I’m breaking up with you motherf****
• Not all monsters are ugly.
• Not every beast who gives roses to you can turn to be your prince.
• There is someone else in my life.
7. Remember that your needs come first
Above everything, remember that your needs come first. So, don’t go out of your way to please someone who’s a few minutes short of becoming your ex.
20 Unique Breakup Text Ideas
1. As much as it hurts, being heartbroken is better than being lied to by you. Goodbye.
2. Hello, I hope you are fine. It was a lovely meeting and being with you. I enjoyed getting to know you but I am not feeling a real connection between us.
3. Hey, thanks for being together for that long. However, I didn’t feel a spark in our relationship, let us end it here.
4. Hi there, you have been good to me. I am sorry to say that being in this relationship isn’t what I should be focusing on. I want to be solo.
5. I am breaking up with you… maybe I will wish I didn’t, maybe I will be happier, but it doesn’t matter because you don’t seem to care.
6. I am slowing losing you and it is very painful for me. I know you will never return but at least we can end our story in a positive manner.
7. I can’t wait any longer. I know that we should end it right now. We don’t belong together, and it’s time for both of us to move on with our lives. Separately. Thank you for being with me all this time. But it’s time to say goodbye.
8. I didn’t think my feelings would change for you, but then you changed. Goodbye.
9. I feel like I’m wasting the time that I’m spending with you. I don’t mean to hurt you, but it just doesn’t feel right. Sometimes feelings just fade, and we can do nothing about it. I wish you the happiest life. Goodbye.
10. I feel this relationship isn’t working for me and feel not compatible together. I want to end and wish you the best in the future.
11. I just need to get it off my chest. I’m not in love with you anymore. I don’t know if I ever was. Maybe I just wanted to have what everyone has, you know. Stable relationship, a house and a dog. But it’s not what I really want right now. I’m sorry for making things so complicated.
12. I know we had life’s best times when we were together, but it is hard to be in the same relation as there is no place to breathe here. It is better, we stop dreaming. We should face the truth and walk off from each other’s life.
13. I tried hard to express my feeling for you but you were never interested in understanding that. It’s painful to be a one-sided love relationship. Goodbye.
14. I will never deny that I loved you, but with time, things change and so did you. Goodbye.
15. Our breakup hurts me a lot, but I would rather heal a broken heart than suffer in a relationship with you. Goodbye.
16. There is nothing more painful than living in a fake relationship. It gives only disappointment. So, it’s the time to end all drama and be realistic. This is my goodbye message to you, stay happy.
17. We both just fight, argue and shout. No place is left for love, understanding and compassion. I think we should end this relationship at a beautiful turn, then ruining it more.
18. We have a bright future ahead of us just not with each other. Let’s be brave so that we can move on to better things. Goodbye.
19. With this message, all I want to say, we have been in a good relationship that has no future. I want to end it now forever. Goodbye.
20. You used to make me feel special, and that’s what really hurts now.
Breaking up with someone who stole your heart may be a difficult decision to make. There’s always the temptation to make your partner feel like they’re all to blame for not acting to save the relationship. As such, you may want to send them a mean breakup text that will linger in their memories forever. But it’s really not worth it. Why not consider any of the above kind and candid breakup text ideas and walk out of the relationship with your head high?