Last Updated on March 3, 2023
Who Is Chuck Norris?
Carlos Ray Norris, better known as Chuck Norris, is an American martial artist, actor, film & television producer, screenwriter, and author.
Before becoming a Hollywood star, Chuck Norris enjoyed a fairly successful military career. Norris joined the United States Air Force in 1958 as an Air Policeman. He was initially stationed at South Korea’s Osan Air Base before being transferred to the March Air Force Base in California upon his return to the United States. Norris served in the U.S Air Force until his discharge in late summer 1962.
It’s during his military career that Chuck Norris took an interest in martial arts. Norris is a black belt in multiple martial arts disciplines, including Tang Soo Doo, judo, and Brazilian jiu-jitsu.
As an actor, Chuck Norris has appeared in scores of films and television shows. Norris was cast in a minor role in the 1969 spy film, The Wrecking Crew. In 1972, he played one of the main villains in Way of the Dragon. He subsequently starred in Breaker! Breaker! (1977), which turned out to be his first major film role. The following year, Norris landed his second lead role in the film Good Guys Wear Black (1978).
Chuck Norris went on to appear in numerous other films over the years. And while he’s way past the prime of his acting career, Norris continues to land major acting roles once in a while.
Norris has also earned millions from his various acting roles. He has a net worth of $80 million.
|Full Name:||Carlos Ray Norris|
|Popular Name:||Chuck Norris|
|Birth Date:||March 10, 1940|
|Parents:||Ray Dee Norris and Wilma Scarberry Norris|
|Siblings:||Aaron Norris and Wieland Clyde Norris|
|Birth Place:||Ryan, Oklahoma, United States|
|Ethnicity:||Mixed (Irish and Cherokee)|
|Education:||North High School and Dallas College Eastfield Campus|
|Marital Status:||Married to model Gena O’Kelley (since 1998); previously married to Dianne Kay Holechek (from 1958 until their divorce in 1989)|
|Children:||Michael Ray ‘Mike’ Norris and Eric Scott Norris (with his first wife, Dianne Kay Holechek), Dina DeCioli (born of an extramarital affair with a woman named Joanna), and Dakota Allan Norris and Danilee Kelly Norris (with his current wife, Gena O’Kelley)|
|Net Worth:||USD 80 million|
|Source of Wealth:||Martial Arts, Acting, Film & Television Production, Screenwriting, Writing, Product Endorsements, and Other Ventures|
|Height:||5′ 10″ (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||72 kg; In pounds: 159 lbs.|
Chuck Norris was born on March 10, 1940, in Ryan, Oklahoma, United States, to Ray Dee Norris and Wilma Scarberry Norris.
Norris’ father was a World War II Army soldier, bus driver, truck driver, and mechanic.
Military and Martial Arts Career
Chuck Norris joined the United States Air Force in 1958 as an Air Policeman and was initially stationed at Osan Air Base in South Korea. It’s during this period that he took an interest in martial arts. Norris later returned to the U.S and was stationed at California’s March Air Force Base. He continued honing his martial arts skills until his eventual discharge from the Air Force in the summer of 1962.
After leaving the force, Chuck Norris applied to become a police officer in Torrance, California. He subsequently opened a martial arts studio and began competing professionally in martial arts tournaments.
By 1967, Norris was one of the most talented martial artists in the United States. In June, the same year, he floored a record seven opponents. Around the same period, Norris owned multiple karate schools where he trained a host of celebrities, including Steve McQueen, Donny & Marie Osmond, and Priscilla Presley.
In 1969, Chuck Norris appeared in a minor role in the film The Wrecking Crew. In 1972, Norris’ friend and fellow martial artist, Bruce Lee, invited him to play one of the villains in the movie Way of the Dragon.
Chuck Norris’ major debut film role was in the film Breaker! Breaker! (1977). Shortly after starring in Breaker! Breaker!, Norris landed another starring role in the film Good Guys Wear Black (1978).
Norris went on to appear in several successful films over the next couple of years, including A Force of One (1979), The Octagon (1980), An Eye for an Eye (1981), Silent Rage (1982), and Forced Vengeance (1982). He also appeared in Lone Wolf McQuade (1983), Missing in Action (1984), Code of Silence (1985), and Invasion U.S.A (1985).
In 1986, Chuck Norris appeared in what’s arguably his most iconic film of the 80s, The Delta Force. The same year, Norris starred in Firewalker (1986).
In 1993, Chuck Norris began appearing in the television series Walker, Texas Ranger. He played the show’s title role until 2001.
The following are other notable films and television shows that Chuck Norris has appeared in over the years:
• Braddock: Missing in Action III (1988)
• Delta Force 2: The Colombian Connection (1990)
• The Hitman (1991)
• Sidekicks (1992)
• Hellbound (1994)
• Top Dog (1995)
• Forest Warrior (1996)
• Bells of Innocence (2003)
• The Cutter (2005)
• The Expendables 2 (2012)
• Logan’s War: Bound by Honor (1998)
• Sons of Thunder (1999)
• The President’s Man (2000) and its sequel, The President’s Man: A Line in the Sand (2002)
• Martial Law (2000)
• Walker, Texas Ranger: Trial by Fire (2005)
• Hawaii Five-0 (2020)
Chuck Norris has penned numerous books touching on a wide range of topics, including martial arts, exercise, Christianity, politics, philosophy, and western novels.
The following are some of his notable books:
• Winning Tournament Karate (1975)
• Toughen Up! The Chuck Norris Fitness System (1983)
• The Secret of Inner Strength: My Story (1987)
• The Secret Power Within: Zen Solutions to Real Problems (1996)
• Against All Odds: My Story (2004)
• The Justice Riders (2006)
• A Threat to Justice (2007)
• Black Belt Patriotism: How to Reawaken America (2008)
• The Official Chuck Norris Fact Book: 101 of Chuck’s Favorite Facts and Stories (2009)
Awards and Recognitions
Chuck Norris has been feted with multiple awards over the years. Norris has mainly been honored for his military career as well as for his martial arts and acting skills.
Examples of those awards include:
• The Fighter of the Year Award (by Black Belt magazine) in 1969
• The International Box Office Star of the Year (at the ShoWest Convention) in 1992
• 3 BMI TV Music Awards (at the BMI Awards) from 1997 – 1998
• The Inspirational Acting in Television Award (at the Grace Prize Award) in 1999
• The Veteran of the Year Award (by the U.S Air Force) in 2001
• The Golden Boot Award in 2001
Chuck Norris’ Net Worth
As of 2023, Chuck Norris had a net worth of $80 million. Norris has earned much of his wealth from the film and television industries.
The following are some of the highest-grossing films featuring Chuck Norris:
• Way of the Dragon – Grossed HK$5,307,350.50 at the Hong Kong box office and US$130 million worldwide
• Good Guys Wear Black – Grossed over $18 million at the box office
• A Force of One – Grossed $20 million at the box office
• The Octagon – Grossed $19 million at the box office
• The Expendables 2 – Grossed over $310 million worldwide
Chuck Norris has also earned millions from product endorsements over the years. Norris has appeared in commercials for numerous brands, including Action Jeans, Total Gym, T-Mobile, BZ WBK, Hoegaarden, United Healthcare, Fiat, and Hesburger.
Lessons from Chuck Norris
1. Believe in yourself
Chuck Norris credits his success in the entertainment industry largely to his hard work and self-confidence. Norris was not known to turn down an acting role during the prime of his career.
2. Never give up
Unknown to most of his fans, Norris struggled to pitch many of his films to studios. Were it not for his tenaciousness, perhaps his acting star would never have shone so brightly.
3. Leave your mark
Chuck Norris is not only known as one of the world’s most talented martial artists and actors. He will also be remembered for years to come for founding his own martial arts discipline known as Chun Kuk Do.
Famous Quotes by Chuck Norris
• Unfortunately, people are re-interpreting the Constitution as a living document, and it’s not. It’s a solid-based document and it shouldn’t be played with.
• Every day, we are bombarded with a multitude of toxins in the environment. We know that the negative health impacts from this constant exposure can add up.
• We either go one direction, left, which would be socialism. Or right, which would be people trying to make the money themselves.
• I would give illegal immigrants already here a three-month grace period to apply for a temporary worker’s visa. If they failed to apply within that time frame, they would be considered fugitives, and they would be found and deported.
• There’s a lot to be done; I just see a total moral decay in our society.
Chuck Norris is a legendary actor and martial artist who has appeared in scores of films and television shows since 1968.
Norris has not only earned an admirable reputation in the entertainment industry. He has also made millions out of it. He currently has a net worth of $80 million.