Last Updated on
With the aim of the SEO game being about getting your links listed as high up the search listings as possible some of Google’s other services such as Google Images and Google News are relatively untapped sources to get your content found more easily.
One of the main speed bumps with Search Engine Optimisation is finding the best places to get hold of links. With so many ‘quick fix’ options out there it’s hard to know which ones will work, especially when the majority of them will do little to help. There is no doubt that to get the best search engine rankings there is no substitute for putting the time in.
One increasingly popular method of getting found on highly competitive, sought after keywords is through using Google News. Google News allows you to gain exposure through showing users that your content is up to date and current as well as displaying your link at the top of the SERP (Search Engine Results Page) for a short time. Due to the short time scale, you can compete with higher ranked sites as they have to follow the same constraints as you.
Why add Google News to your promotion tactics?
By using Google News you can gain a surge in traffic to your site though being to compete for more generic search queries. If you search some of the more generic keywords in your area take a look at the number of news items that appear in the SERPs.
There is a downside though:
- Most people looking for news are far more likely to just look at the content that is suggested and leave, leading to higher bounce rates.
- People looking for news are unlikely to be persuaded to make purchases, so additional sales are unlikely.
- It can take time to get featured in Google News, something that if you’re a business owner you may not have available.
But it’s not all bad news:
- Managing to get featured can give you a huge boost in brand awareness in your field. People who constantly want to read your latest news are more likely to come back and make a purchase in the future.
- It can be a great link building tool, especially if you write about things with large public interest that users would want to share and link to.
What to do to get featured in Google News
Typically, it’s not the easiest of tasks, but there are things to take into account to increase your chances of getting featured:
- Publish a minimum of two relevant and timely news posts, with a word count average of at least 300 words, every day.
- Have a minimum of three writers adding to your news. These can be three separate online personalities, but real writers are likely to hold more credibility through social networks.
- Make sure that your News URL’s contain at least three unique digits, or make use of a news sitemap.
- Have at least three months’ content on your site before you submit any request to be added to the news.
So there are a few things to bare in mind to get published in the news. While it’s by no means a quick method of building links it does have distinct benefits for those who put the time in. Have you had any type of experience with Google News? If so, we would love to get your feedback. For more useful content please don’t forget to subscribe to the RSS-feed and follow Inspirationfeed on Twitter+ Facebook! If you enjoyed the following article we humbly ask you to comment, and help us spread the word!