Joy is defined as ‘a feeling of great pleasure and happiness.’ It happens to be one of the most elusive and fickle of all human emotions. That’s because our joy largely depends on our life’s present circumstances and the underlying cause of it.
Those who seek temporary pleasures experience joy momentarily, while those who sacrifice instant gratifications for long-term happiness experience joy in abundance. But as you shall find, happiness has a lot to do with our general attitude towards life.
For instance, two people might be going through similar adversity in life. One of them chooses to agonize throughout the entire ordeal, whereas the other one decides to count their blessings.
The thing is, we can all experience immense happiness by expressing gratitude even when the world around us looks empty and despondent. Remember that there will never come such a time when the world will be completely cured of sorrow. However, if we choose to look at the silver lining each time, we will always find happiness amidst the chaos and confusion of this life.
Maybe you’re going through a rough patch in your life right now. Perhaps you just lost your job, a loved one or your business empire is on the verge of crumbling.
However tough the situation that life throws your way, there’s no sufficient justification for overburdening yourself with grief. Even when life feels utterly void of inspiration, you can always find a reason to be happy and keep pressing on.
But what if you’re having a difficult time summoning joy? You don’t need to fret, as we’ve gathered a collection of 30 joy quotes to get you started.
By pinning our quotes on your bedroom wall, office desk, or laptop wallpaper, you’ll always have something to inspire you every new day. Our collection of joy quotes will supercharge your day even when you’re at your lowest moments in life.
Our collection of joy quotes covers the full spectrum, including how to express joy during adversity as well as how to share the emotion with those who are grieving and depressed.
We also have quotes that will help you to replicate your joy so that you can spread positive vibes to the world around you. Sample our collection of 30 joy quotes and hopefully, you’ll find a quote to lift your moods during moments of grief, loneliness, and depression.
Inspiring Joy Quotes
1. “We cannot cure the world of sorrows, but we can choose to live in joy.” — Joseph Campbell
2. “Find joy in everything you choose to do. Every job, relationship, home… it’s your responsibility to love it, or change it.” — Chuck Palahniuk
3. “The soul’s joy lies in doing.” — Percy Bysshe Shelley
4. “If you carry joy in your heart, you can heal any moment.” — Carlos Santana
5. “Let your joy be in your journey—not in some distant goal.” — Tim Cook
6. “The joy that isn’t shared dies young.” — Anne Sexton
7. “There are those who give with joy, and that joy is their reward.” — Khalil Gibran
8. “Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.” — Nhat Hanh
9. “We have to embrace obstacles to reach the next stage of joy.” — Goldie Hawn
10. “Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with.” — Mark Twain
11. “Just follow your joy. Always. I think that if you do that, life will take you on the course that it’s meant to take you.” — Jonathan Groff
12. “The more the heart is sated with joy, the more it becomes insatiable.” — Gabrielle Roy
13. “Joy is increased by spreading it to others.” — Robert Murray McCheyne
14. “Joy is the holy fire that keeps our purpose warm and our intelligence aglow.” — Helen Keller
15. “Joy lies in the fight, in the attempt, in the suffering involved, not in the victory itself.” — Mahatma Gandhi
16. “Find a place inside where there’s joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.” — Joseph Campbell
17. “When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.” — Buddha
18. “Joy is a net of love by which you can catch souls.” — Mother Teresa
19. “If you carry joy in your heart, you can heal any moment.” — Carlos Santana
20. “Joy is the serious business of Heaven.” — C. S. Lewis
21. “Participate joyfully in the sorrows of the world. We cannot cure the world of sorrows, but we can choose to live in joy.” — Joseph Campbell
22. “If you’re not having a good time, find something else that gives you some joy in life.” — Penny Marshall
23. “Find ecstasy in life; the mere sense of living is joy enough.” — Emily Dickinson
24. “There are those who give with joy, and that joy is their reward.” — Khalil Gibran
25. “When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.” — Rumi
26. “Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.” — Thich Nhat Hanh
27. “Joy is the infallible sign of the presence of God.” — Pierre de Chardin
28. “Let us dance in the sun, wearing wild flowers in our hair…” — Susan Polis Schutz
29. “Comparison is the death of joy.” — Mark Twain
30. “A flower blossoms for its own joy.” — Oscar Wilde