There are two types of questions based on the extent of information they provide you. Close-ended questions that end with either a ‘yes’ or ‘no’; or open-ended questions provide you with a great depth of information and valuable data.
Whether it’s a survey you’re about to conduct, a research question that has you pondering, or simply an instinct to dig deeper into someone’s thoughts and beliefs during interviews – these set of questions will be your go-to.
However, when asking open-ended questions, it’s important to avoid the occurrence of leading or prompting questions. For example, instead of asking ‘Were you in California last month’, you should be asking ‘Where were you last month?’. Leading questions often include the answer within the question and the reader is most likely to mark the ‘easiest’ answer, especially in surveys.
Keen effort should be made to avoid the use of excess jargon, which confuses and disinterests the reader.
Here is a video that provides examples of some excellent open-ended questions.
56 Interesting Open-Ended Questions To Ask
- Who is your favorite celebrity and why?
- What was your best travel experience?
- What is the ‘perfect life’ in your perspective?
- How do you bake your favorite cake?
- How did your experience in high school change you?
- Do you think religion is important?
- What is your perspective on wars?
- What is your perspective on nuclear weapons?
- Is happiness a perspective?
- What is the difference between democracy and communism?
- What is the most dreadful thing that has happened to you?
- How would you justify the existence of God?
- What are your views on the current beauty standards?
- What comes to your mind when you think of the word ‘peace’?
- What are your political views on democracy?
- Have you ever encountered a near-death experience? What was it like?
- What is one sin that you think should be unforgivable?
- Are humans propagators of peace or war?
- Why don’t humans learn lessons the first time?
- Why do you think humans repeat mistakes?
- What are the causes of procrastination?
- Is social media detrimental to mental health?
- What is one thing that you feel is very controversial?
- What is the biggest lesson that history taught us?
- In your perspective, who is the best nation today and why?
- How do you think independence day should be celebrated?
- Is patriotism important? Why or why not?
- What is the role of media in the current world situation?
- What are your thoughts about coffee as a sensational beverage?
- What do you think is the most important trait of a good person?
- What is the biggest mistake you have made in life?
- What is paradise to you?
- What is your perspective on women making more money than men?
- What is art to you?
- Who is your role model and why?
- Who is the best scientist of all times in your perspective and why?
- What are your views on paternity leaves?
- Which country is the most beautiful in the world and why?
- What is your biggest weakness?
- Which reality show is the best of all times and why?
- What is the funniest thing you have ever witnessed?
- What is your biggest pet peeve and why?
- What is your guilty pleasure?
- If you could live in one country forever, which one would it be and why?
- What is the biggest cause of poverty?
- Do you think there should be separate parks for adults?
- Which car manufacturer is the best in the world and why?
- What are you thinking about right now?
- What makes you most nervous in life?
- Is career planning important? Why or why not?
- What are your plans for the future?
- How can education in your country be improved?
- What are the flaws of your country’s education system?
- What is your biggest accomplishment in life?
10 Open-ended Questions To Ask As A Brand
- What did you like the most about our product?
- What do you think is the most attractive component of our website?
- Where did you hear about us?
- What are your thoughts on the environment of our shop?
- Do you have any suggestions to help us improve our product or services?
- How did you find the product that you were looking for?
- Do you think we are emerging contenders in the industry? If yes, why?
- What persuaded you to purchase our product today?
- How would you describe our brand/company?
- How soon can we expect to see you again in our store?
10 Open-ended Questions To Ask In A Interview
- What encouraged you to apply to this firm/company?
- How did you find out about us?
- What expectations do you have from us?
- Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?
- Which areas do you think are your strengths?
- How can you benefit this company?
- Which areas do you think are your weaknesses?
- Is there anything you wish to tell the panel?
- Give us reasons why we should select you over other applicants?
- Do you have any ideas that will make us stand out against other competitors in this industry?
The FAQ Question
What is an example of an open-ended question?
‘What are your future prospects in life?’ is an open-ended question.
What are the 4 different types of questions?
Close-ended questions, tail questions, special questions, and open-ended questions.
What is the meaning of an open-ended question?
A matter that is discussed without the answer being known.