Last Updated on March 6, 2021
Robin Williams’ entry to the comedy scene started with his stand-up acts in California. He performed in nightclubs where he was discovered for the role of “Mork, from Ork”, in an episode of Happy Days (1974). The episode Happy Days: My Favorite Orkan (1978), led to Robin having his own show Mork and Mindy (1978). His first debut in a starring role was when he played the titular character in Popeye (1980).
The Legacy of Robin Williams
His innovative and wild comedic talents were based on his idol Jonathan Winters. Robin Williams also proved to be an effective dramatic actor.
He received Academy Award nominations for Best Actor in a Leading Role in Good Morning, Vietnam (1987), Dead Poets Society (1989) and, The Fisher King (1991). He won an Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role in Good Will Hunting (1997).
Williams was a beloved hero to children for various roles in family-oriented films including Hook (1991), FernGully: The Last Rainforest (1992), Aladdin (1992), Mrs. Doubtfire (1993), Jumanji (1995), Flubber (1997), and Bicentennial Man (1999).
His other involvements in family-oriented entertainment included Robots (2005), Happy Feet (2006), Night at the Museum (2006), Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (2009), Happy Feet Two (2011), and Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb (2014).
Williams’ acclaimed adult-oriented films included The World According to Garp (1982), Moscow on the Hudson (1984), Awakenings (1990), The Birdcage (1996), Insomnia (2002), One Hour Photo (2002), World’s Greatest Dad (2009), and Boulevard (2014).
Robin Williams was found dead at his home in Tiburon, California, USA on August 11, 2014. The Marin County Sheriff’s Office identified suicide to be the cause of his death. Although he is no longer with us, he will always be remembered for his memorable movies and great acting. Let these Robin Williams quotes teach you a thing or two about life, love, and being happy.
Extraordinary Robin Williams Quotes
1. “You’re only given one little spark of madness. You mustn’t lose it.” – Robin Williams
2. “If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.” – Robin Williams
3. “Some are born great. Some achieve greatness. Some get it as a graduation gift.” – Robin Williams
4. “Seize the day. Because, believe it or not, each and every one of us in this room is one day going to stop breathing.” – Robin Williams
5. “Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.” – Robin Williams
6. “I try to make sense of things. Which is why, I guess, I believe in destiny. There must be a reason that I am as I am. There must be.” – Robin Williams
7. “You’re only given a little spark of madness. You mustn’t lose it.” – Robin Williams
8. “I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people that make you feel all alone.” – Robin Williams
9. “I think the saddest people always try their hardest to make people happy. Because they know what it’s like to feel absolutely worthless and they don’t want anybody else to feel like that.” – Robin Williams (This is one of the most famous Robin Williams quotes on depression.)
10. “You will have bad times, but they will always wake you up to the stuff you weren’t paying attention to.” – Robin Williams
11. “You must strive to find your own voice because the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are to find it at all.” – Robin Williams
12. “Never say goodbye because saying goodbye means going away, and going away means forgetting.” – Robin Williams
13. “I always thought the idea of education was to learn to think for yourself.” – Robin Williams
14. “We don’t read and write poetry because it’s cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.” – Robin Williams
15. “Our job is improving the quality of life, not just delaying death.” – Robin Williams
16. “Please, don’t worry so much. Because in the end none of us have very long on this earth. Life is fleeting. And if you’re ever distressed, cast your eyes to the summer sky.” – Robin Williams
17. “A human life is just a heartbeat in heaven.” – Robin Williams
18. “What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.” – Robin Williams
19. “There are no rules. Just follow your heart.” – Robin Williams
20. “There’s no shame in failing. The only shame is not giving things your best shot.” – Robin Williams
21. “Good people end up in Hell because they can’t forgive themselves.” – Robin Williams
22. “Time is the best teacher, unfortunately, it kills all of its students.” – Robin Williams
23. “Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.” – Robin Williams
24. “Don’t associate yourself with toxic people. It’s better to be alone and love yourself than surrounded by people that make you hate yourself.” – Robin Williams
25. “You treat a disease, you win, you lose. You treat a person, I guarantee you, you’ll win, no matter what the outcome.” – Robin Williams
26. “Never pick a fight with an ugly person, they’ve got nothing to lose.” – Robin Williams
27. “There’s three things in this world that you need: Respect for all kinds of life, a nice bowel movement on a regular basis, and a navy blazer.” – Robin Williams
28. “It’s hard when you read an article saying bad things about you. It is as if someone is sticking a knife on your heart. But I am the harshest critic of my work.” – Robin Williams
29. “The things we fear the most have already happened to us.” – Robin Williams
30. “Reality: What a concept!” – Robin Williams
31. “For a while you get mad, then you get over it.” – Robin Williams
32. “Imagining something is better than remembering something.” – Robin Williams
33. “The human spirit is more powerful than any drug and THAT is what needs to be nourished: with work, play, friendship, family. THESE are the things that matter.” – Robin Williams
34. “Change is not popular; we are creatures of habit as human beings. ‘I want it to be the way it was.’ But if you continue the way it was there will be no ‘is.’” – Robin Williams
35. “Age makes you more confident. When you realize that it’s time now to just do things. When there’s not the pressure to perform on some level of expectations, there’s more to just explore.” – Robin Williams
36. “Stop being afraid of getting older. With age comes wisdom and confidence.” – Robin Williams
37. “Make your life spectacular. I know I did.” – Robin Williams
38. “No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world.” – Robin Williams
39. “There is still a lot to learn and there is always great stuff out there. Even mistakes can be wonderful.” – Robin Williams
40. “Self-reliance is the key to a vigorous life. A man must look inward to find his own answers.” – Robin Williams