Last Updated on
This custom-designed home explores the universal human desires for both orderliness and spontaneity, while firmly rooting itself to the landscape and creating privacy by shaping the terrain. The house functions physically and psychically on multiple levels – as much an intimate retreat for two as an accommodating host to an extended family or numerous guests – thus promoting multiple, overlapping narratives.
- Above: the public face, contained, controlled, consistent.
- Below: the private sphere: free-wheeling and spontaneous.
The home was designed by Tsao & McKown Architects. They’re an eclectic group of accomplished individuals who share an avid preoccupation with the state of the built environment.
“We chose to embrace, rather than deny, this inherent ambivalence – a duality that we believe to be universal to the human condition.” – TsAO & McKOWN
Hungry for architecture? Check out our previous articles:
- Luxurious and Peaceful Designer Home In New Zealand
- Infinity Loop Bridge by 10 Design and Buro Happold
- West Edge House by No Coffee Architects
- The $3.5 Million Flintstones Home in Malibu
- GM1: Minimalist House Residence in Colombia
Did you enjoy this article? We would love to hear your thoughts, so don’t be shy and comment below! Please don’t forget to subscribe to our RSS-feed or follow Inspirationfeed on Twitter, Google+, and Facebook! If you enjoyed the following article we humbly ask you to comment, and help us spread the word!