Last Updated on March 6, 2021
Thanos possesses abilities and properties of the Eternals, but his scientific knowledge allowed him to augment them through bionic and mystic means. He has demonstrated frightening levels of strength, speed, stamina, immortality and in many cases, invulnerability.
He was one of those villains that required more than one superhero to go against – and victory against him was never guaranteed. No wonder he has garnered plenty of his own fans.
A Short History on Thanos
Thanos was created by Jim Starlin and made his first appearance in The Invincible Iron Man #55 dated February 1973. This supervillain is one of the most powerful characters in the Marvel Universe and has squared off with many heroes including The Avengers, The Fantastic Four, and The Guardians of the Galaxy, to name a few.
He has also appeared in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as a major character in several movies, and has appeared in various comic adaptations, animated television series, movies, and video games.
The Mad Titan was born on Saturn’s moon, as the son of two Eternals. An aspect that Thanos shared across his various adaptations was that he believed that destroying all life (or most of it) in the universe is his goal. His fascination with nihilism was what kept him developing his powers and plotting against all of living creation in general.
His reasons for doing so vary based on the interpretation used in several of his appearances. It could be from believing that the universe is better off with a reduced population, or to win the attention and affection of the abstract entity, Mistress Death.
Regardless of how you feel about this mighty character, you can’t deny his dominant presence and thirst for conquest. Perhaps you can benefit from a little bit of inspiration from these powerful Thanos quotes.
Powerful Thanos Quotes
1. “When I’m done, half of humanity will still be alive.” – Thanos
2. “Reality can be whatever I want.” – Thanos
3. “You should’ve gone for the head.” – Thanos
4. “A small price to pay for salvation.” – Thanos
5. “You couldn’t live with your own failure. Where did that bring you? Back to me.” – Thanos
6. “In my heart, I knew you still cared. But one ever knows for sure. Reality is often disappointing.” – Thanos
7. “In all my years of conquest, violence, slaughter, it was never personal. But I’ll tell you now, what I’m about to do to your stubborn, annoying little planet… I’m gonna enjoy it. Very, very much.” – Thanos
8. “You’re strong. But I could snap my fingers, and you’d all cease to exist.” – Thanos
9. “You’re strong. Me… You’re generous. Me… But I never taught you to lie. That’s why you’re so bad at it. Where is the Soul Stone?” – Thanos
10. “Today, I lost more than you can know. But now is no time to mourn. Now is no time at all.” – Thanos
11. “I know what it’s like to lose. To feel so desperately that you’re right, yet to fail nonetheless.” – Thanos
12. “I would death to imprisonment! Pride: my one fatal flaw” – Thanos
13. “Dread it. Run from it. Destiny still arrives. Or should I say, I have.” – Thanos
14. “Perfectly balanced, as all this should be.” – Thanos
15. “I ignored my destiny once, I can not do that again. Even for you. I’m sorry Little one.” – Thanos
16. “Look. Pretty, isn’t it? Perfectly balanced. As all things should be.” – Thanos
17. “Fun isn’t something one considers when balancing the universe. But this… does put a smile on my face.” – Thanos
18. “You’re a great fighter, Gamora. Come. Let me help you.” – Thanos
19. “Destiny waits for no man. Not even one who shall bring the universe to its knees.” – Thanos
20. “At random. Dispassionate, fair. The rich and poor alike. And they called me a madman. And what I predicted, came to pass.” – Thanos
21. “The work is done. I won. What I’m about to do, I’m gonna enjoy it. Very, very much!” – Thanos
22. “I did not ask for your trust. I demand only your obedience.” – Thanos
23. “I’m the only one who knows that. At least I’m the only who has the will to act on it. For a time, you had that same will. As you fought by my side, daughter.” – Thanos
24. “Your optimism is misplaced, Asgardian.” – Thanos
25. “I thought by eliminating half of life, the other half would thrive, but you have shown me… that’s impossible. As long as there are those that remember what was, there will always be those, that are unable to accept what can be. They will resist.” – Thanos
26. “I am… inevitable.” – Thanos
27. “I’ve come home. Because I’m tired of running from who I am. From who I was born to be.” – Thanos
28. “You were going to bed hungry, scrounging for scraps. Your planet was on the brink of collapse. I’m the one who stopped that. You know what’s happened since then? The children born have known nothing but full bellies and clear skies. It’s a paradise.” – Thanos
29. “The universe required correction.” – Thanos
30. “I used the stones to destroy the stones. It nearly… killed me. But the work is done. it always will be.” – Thanos
31. “Fine I’ll do it myself.” – Thanos
32. “I could simply snap my fingers and they would all cease to exist.” – Thanos
33. “Dread it, run from it, destiny arrives all the same.” – Thanos
34. “You’re not the only one cursed with knowledge.” – Thanos
35. “Little one, it’s a simple calculus. This universe is finite, its resources, finite. If life is left unchecked, life will cease to exist. It needs correcting.” – Thanos
36. “When I’m done, half of humanity will still exist. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be. I hope they remember you.” – Thanos
37. “You should choose your words wisely.” – Thanos
38. “I finally rest, and watch the sun rise on a grateful universe. The hardest choices require the strongest wills.” – Thanos
39. “I will shred this universe down to it’s last atom and then, with the stones you’ve collected for me, create a new one. It is not what is lost but only what it is been given… a grateful universe.” – Thanos
40. “Your politics bore me. Your demeanor is that of a pouty child. Return me again empty-handed… And I will bathe the stairways in your blood.” – Thanos