Last Updated on June 8, 2016
Building a productive team begins with three key elements: communication, cooperation, and resource allocation.
To be successful, a first element of an effective team is good communication. By communicating well, a group of distinct individuals can function like spokes in a wheel. That means everyone knows what their responsibilities are and what the team’s goals are. Problems within the team that develop can be resolved amongst all subordinates associated with them. Hence, good communication is a necessary tool to ensure success.
Cooperation is a second essential factor to building a successful team. If there is friction between team members, productivity can be seriously impaired. Hence, it is not favorable to have each worker to perform work just for the sake of his or her personal interests. Team members who compete with one-another at a level beyond friendly competition can adversely affect the team’s functionality. The total production of a proficient team is greater than the sum of all its parts. This is why team cooperation is extremely important.
Allocation of resources plays as a third vital element in creating a team that is productive. Apparently, a successful team begins with proficient team members. Such individuals must be assigned duties where their strengths can work to provide optimal output. At the same time, team members can do a variety of task as a means of improving their weaknesses. This involves testing each member and assessing their strengths and weaknesses and assigning them roles accordingly.
In addition to these three elements, any prosperous team has the following:
- A clearly defined purpose – There is a reason why this team was created. Its purpose serves as its mission and consists of the team’s identity, its main goals, and what it wants to achieve in addition to their goals.
- Behavioral norms – Each person must know certain things expected of him or her as rules of behavior, methods of making decisions, team support and interaction between members, and meeting ground rules. Trust is also necessary as all members must have faith in each other to do as they say they will, maintain confidences, give support where needed, and remain consistent in their behavior.
- Success indicators – Any team must know what types of outcome it wants to generate, signs that indicate it is successful, how it evaluates its progress, and its reward system for meeting its goals.
- Roles and responsibilities – Teams can make decisions effectively by establishing typical roles, who’s in charge of the decision-making process, who manages what type of decisions, and knowing their level of authority of decision making. Although there are differences in roles, levels of experience, and perspectives, the team functions as a partnership. All contributions made are respected and true consensus is attained when appropriate.
- Rules of Operation – Knowing how meetings will be conducted by the team is determined by factors as: how often meetings are held, how long will they run, who facilitates them, what kind of agendas are desired (here’s a good meeting minute template), how the agendas will be created, types of meeting notes, to whom and when the notes are distributed, how the members communicate once the meeting is over, and all other details about managing meetings.
In addition to operating efficiently, the team endlessly works to improve their efforts. They comprehend the importance of ongoing improvements and how this helps support the overall objectives of the organization. By continuous augmentation, the team can drive their performance to higher levels.
Finally, process orientation is essential to a team’s success. This means having proficient planning techniques, problem-solving tools, agendas, periodic meetings, as well as ways to improve their own methods of organization and efficient production.
Check out our previous articles:
- Not Getting the Desired Traffic? Time to Change your Web Design!
- Big Ideas Make Big Things Happen – SEO Analysis
- Doing the Internal Linking the Right Way
- Google’s Search Results Requested To Be Removed
- Apple Safari 5 – What’s in it for a Windows user?
We hope you enjoyed this article! Please don’t forget to subscribe to our RSS-feed or follow Inspirationfeed on Twitter, Google+, and Facebook! If you enjoyed the following article we humbly ask you to comment, and help us spread the word!