Last Updated on September 3, 2020
What Is An Essay?
An essay is written as a piece of writing that aims to give the author’s own opinion. The formal essay has a serious purpose, is logically organized, and has dignity, whereas for the informal essay personal elements are necessary, as well as unconventionality and graceful style.
Essays are typically used to give the author’s observations, reflections, and recollections. They are a huge part of formal education not only in high school but also in college.
Essay For College Application
Many colleges want an essay while you are applying to get in. It may be even as important as the academic record. That can come up to be especially true for the private institutions where you’ll need not only great grades but also a superb essay.
To put it in perspective, if there are two applicants with nearly the same grades, the one that gets in will be the applicant with a better essay.
Essay In College
Professors, just like the teachers in high school, love giving essays for assignments. And students usually go to such websites as bestessayservicesradar.com for help or examples of a good essay. When you sit down to do the essay, you are basically learning how to make your point clear in a logical way.
Also, that way you are getting your writing skills better. The style of your writing will improve, too. You will learn more ways for expressing yourself. That way you can become quite a good writer but a speaker as well for you are now better equipped to get your point straight in a better and more logical way.
Writing essays strengthens your self-image. It also lets you apply to practice what you’ve learned. It gives you a way to think on a better and higher level. If the essay is on personal experiences, it will enhance them.
When doing essays, it is also important to include citations and references. You can get accused of plagiarism should you not mention all the sources you’ve used. And a plagiarism accusation can damage your reputation and your academic performance.
While writing an essay you start to get better in making your thinking seem logical in a written form. Then you’ll develop your writing style and, as a consequence, your thinking and talking style. That way you won’t get simply a better writer but also quite a better thinker.
For essays, you should use beautiful language. Actually, this is true for all kinds of papers and other academic assignments. That way you’ll get the imagination of the person reading it working. Remember, you cannot say all.
What you need to do is reason on the most important issues and pave the way to the conclusion. By doing so you are learning how to pick out the most important things and set aside the things that have no such importance. You will also get to know how to analyze a story, an opinion, or a situation.
Personal essays are a free form of essay writing. They are also hard to define. They can broadly be divided into opinion and narrative personal essay. Those types of writing use your experience, as well as your thoughts on a particular subject. To make your essay the best, try to combine the two sections.
It’s important to note that chronology doesn’t matter for a personal essay. What matters here are the reflections of the writer. This is an ideal way to express your thoughts, feelings, and emotions for times of confusion and transition.
Personal essays can be on any topic – from actual personal experience to an opinion on the recent political elections and things like that.
To do such an essay, you simply start to write it and see how one thing, one thought leads to another one. While you are writing, your thoughts will get clearer and you’ll be able to better see where the essay is going and clarify your opinion.
Common themes for personal essays are relationships, childhood, hobbies, illness, travel, nature, etc. They aren’t about what type of judgment we are getting to but how have we gotten to it. If you have any prejudices, you need to know them and acknowledge them to the reader.
What your teachers and professors want when they give you a personal essay is to see what your point of view is – aka. what are you thinking and why have you been thinking it. You are giving the reader the chance to empathize with you, whether they’ve been through something similar or not. You should find a way to generalize the essay to interest the reader
The reader should believe the reality you are describing. They should be able to see that you’ve given enough thought on the topic. That’s among the essential parts of the personal essay – to stay honest and sincere to yourself and the reader.
Tips For A Great Essay
- When you are writing an essay, stick to the topic. Don’t go around rambling on every thought that comes about in your mind. Stay on the topic without adding extraneous information. Make the words count and don’t bore the reader with things that are not important.
- Try to add some creativity. You are unique and the essay should point out exactly that. Don’t plagiarize but use your own thinking capacity. If you need to use other sources, make sure to cite or reference them properly.
- Be honest. Don’t make things up simply because you want to say something. The dishonesty, especially if you are writing a college application letter, will hurt you quite a bit.
- Ask for help if you need such. Yes, you should do the essay on your own topic with your own ideas. Still, that doesn’t mean you cannot get help when necessary. Whether it will be a teacher, a family member, a friend, or a professional, there are many people out there that can help you. Use assistive technology if you need it.
- Proofread and edit. There may be misspellings or unnecessary comments and extraneous information. To solve this, proofread when finished. For better results, let the essay sit for a couple of days and then edit in order to look at it with a fresh eye to spot any mistakes.